Filing a Probate Petition

If a person dies having last lived in Massachusetts as their domicile, and if the person had assets in their name which heirs or beneficiaries need to access, a petition for probate of a will, or administration of an estate if there is no will, must be filed in the Probate Court in the county in which the deceased person lived.  Depending upon the amount of assets, and the need for supervision, several types of petitions may be filed.  An attorney is able to assist in choosing the proper means to go forward to accomplish this distribution of assets.